This Flex Day was the official start of the Prestige, Achievement and Learning (PAL) Group program. Students met with their groups and advisors for the first time and began to construct goals, team spirit, and in at least one instance, robots. PAL groups do contain a grade component for students (10% of the research grade), but there were no discussions of grades and requirements, that would have interfered with the excitement and planning. The enthusiasm and excitement was palpable as each group began planning for success.
- The documentary film group chose a theme and will begin constructing a detailed plan in the coming weeks.
- The writing for scholarships and awards group began researching contests and have already decided to send Jacob Schuster to prom dressed entirely in a duct tape tuxedo (there’s a contest for the best duct tape formal wear).
- The health and fitness group has decided to work with the PTO on the MVGS Leprechaun Leap 5K race this spring.
- The robotics group began furiously designing and building.
- The Team America Rocketry Challenge Group was dismayed that they couldn’t begin launching rockets IMMEDIATELY.
- The computer science group was taken in hand by a few knowledgable students and will be running Microsoft no later than Friday.
- The radio astronomy group have all decided to sit for the exam they must pass to obtain their amateur radio licenses.
- The creative arts blog group chose a content style, selected a hosting service and decided on a title for their blog.
- The computer programming group began their investigation into the Java programming language.
- The community service group has some great fund-raising ideas!
- The art group, led by guest instructor Nancy Brittle, began to plan their artistic focus for the year.
- The Science Olympiad group began registering themselves as an offical Olympiad team.
- The Mathemaginarium group is undertaking several projects, including preparing for the Rocket City Math League contest.
The faculty, staff and students of MVGS are all excited to see what we can accomplish with our PAL groups, and we’ll be keeping you updated throughout the year!